Read the contest rules and guidelines in full and to the end in order to ensure your eligibility for the media awards on HIV, SRH and GBV.
Submitting your entry
Download the awards submission form here and submit your entry in the following ways:
- By physical delivery to the African Centre for Media Excellence, C/o ACME Awards Secretariat, Plot 130 M. Nanjala Road, Bbunga-Soya, Ggaba Road, Kampala.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: ‘HIV awards 2021 submission (and chosen category name, e.g. Best feature story)’
Incorrectly titled emails and physical deliveries, incomplete submission forms and incorrect submission formats will not be accepted.
HIV journalism awards contest rules
1. Entries for the media awards on HIV, SRH and GBV must be submitted by midnight on 30 September 2021.
2. By participating in the awards competition, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these awards rules and the decisions of the panel of judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects.
3. Entry Fee: There is no entry fee.
4. Only professional journalists and independent content producers who are working and located in Uganda are eligible to enter. Employees of implementing partner organisations or their affiliates, subsidiaries, suppliers, vendors and/or service providers, and their immediate family members or persons living in the same household are not eligible.
5. Eligible publications. The contest year is 1 July, 2020 through 30 August, 2021. Submitted entries must have been originally published, broadcast, or posted online during the contest year.
6. Translation required: If the submitted work was published or broadcast in a language other than English, you must provide an English translation or transcript.
7. Individual reporting entries: This relates to the best news, feature and investigative reporting categories. Entrants must complete all forms required to submit Entries. A story or series of stories may be entered in one category only. Entrants may submit only one entry (a single entry or a series) for the entire contest.
8. News organisation entries: This relates to the best newspaper, radio, television and online news platform categories. An entry must contain a body of work, and can either be a series of related news stories, special projects or a series of unrelated stories that are about either HIV and AIDS, gender-based violence or sexual and reproductive health. Submit no more than 10 items for judging.
9. Entry formats:
- Print/Online category, submit either online links or PDFs of the published stories. A PDF (up to 10MB in size) should show the name of the publication, author byline and date of publication. Stories submitted via online links can include multimedia content, including video, graphics and photos as well as text. The reader should be able to access all multimedia content via the provided link.
- Audio Entries (radio or podcast): Entries may consist of either a single story; an entry of two or three unrelated stories; or a thematic series (submit no more than three parts of the series for judging). Submit a link to an MP3 file of the broadcast. The MP3 file must be freely accessible throughout the screening and judging period — 1-31 October, 2021 — either through an active URL or an archived link. NOTE: For lengthy podcasts (i.e. more than 60 minutes), we prefer no more than two examples in all from a single entrant.
- Video Entries: For television or stand-alone online videos. A single segment or series not to exceed 60 minutes in total. An eligible entry in either category may consist of a single story; two or three unrelated stories; or a thematic series (submit no more than three parts for judging). Submit links to the video files, which must be hosted on Vimeo, Dropbox or YouTube. Do not provide any other links that will require an automatic download. The video file must be freely accessible throughout the screening and judging period — 1-31 October, 2021 —either through an active URL or an archived link. NOTE: Stand-alone online videos should be submitted in the Video categories. Videos that are integral to an online text or multimedia package will be judged as part of such entries in the Print/Online categories.
10. Access to entries: If an outlet has a pay wall or limited access (such as no more than five free stories per month), the entrant must provide password access for the story links or readable PDFs of the content. Failure to provide accessible content during the screening and judging period will result in disqualification.
11. Deadline: As noted above, all entries must be received during the entry period of 1 July-30 September, 2021 to be eligible. ACME is not responsible for late, lost, or misdirected entries that are not received in a timely manner or are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or other error, or due to inaccessibility of the Internet or portions thereof.
12. Representations: By submitting any entry to the contest, entrants hereby represent and warrant that they (a) have the necessary rights to do so, and (b) are the author, creator, or producer (or co-author, co-creator, or co-producer, if so identified) of the Entry. Entrants will grant the Awards implementing partners permission to post files of the winning entries on their websites.
13. Privacy: Information provided to enter the competition will not be sold to third parties but may be shared as may be necessary for the purposes of conducting and judging the Contest and awarding prizes. ACME may from time to time contact entrants via email concerning the Contest, and each entrant consents to receiving such communications via email.
14. ACME reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the awards, to be acting in violation of these contest rules, or who otherwise takes actions that do or are intended to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the awards. ACME also reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry containing any obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate comments or other matter.