The African Centre for Media Excellence is a Kampala-based independent, non-profit professional organisation that is committed to excellence in journalism and mass communication in Africa.
ACME’s main goal is to make the media a more effective platform for the provision of information on public affairs, a tool for monitoring official power, and a forum for vibrant public debate.
ACME has a unique approach to continuing training and education. Instead of one-off workshops, which are common in the East African region, ACME employs a long-term approach in which practical training workshops are complemented by mentoring and coaching over several months.
To become Africa’s leading independent media and communication support organisation.
- To inspire journalists to seek and achieve professional excellence.
- To help make our news media more reliable and credible sources of information, effective watchdogs and vibrant forums for public debate.
- To equip members of the private sector, civil society, academia and the government with skills to engage more effectively with the media.
- To educate the public on how to better appreciate the forces that shape the news.
- To advocate, promote and defend press freedom and freedom of expression.
In pursuance of excellence, ACME will be guided by the following values and operating principles:
- Honesty and integrity
- Persistence and determination
- Creativity and innovation
Our Current and Former Partners
American Jewish World Service
British High Commission
Deepening Democracy Programme
Democratic Governance Facility
Fund for Global Human Rights
Kolline & Hemed (U) Ltd
Population Reference Bureau
Revenue Watch Institute
Thomson Reuters Foundation
Uganda Parliamentary Reporters Association
Westminster Foundation for Democracy