This is an opportunity provided by the Wealth of Nations – Illicit finance (NORAD) programme: Find out more
Thomson Reuters Foundation in partnership with the African Centre for Media Excellence is looking for Ugandan journalists who are motivated to understand how their country could be losing money via illicit means.
Wealth of Nations is a long-term engagement, and journalists who take part must commit to all elements of the scheme, signing an agreement to this effect. These elements include:
- Intensive training on reporting illicit finance
- The first workshop will take place from Monday, 03 October – Friday, 07 October 2022 at the African Centre for Media Excellence in Kampala
- A follow-up workshop will take place from Wednesday, 16 to Friday, 18 November 2022 at the African Centre for Media Excellence in Kampala
- For selected participants:
- The production of stories on illicit financial flows
- A mentoring support scheme that will help produce these stories
Journalists will not be considered to have completed the scheme until they have completed all the elements, which for selected participants includes producing at least one story on illicit financial flows, and will not receive their certificates until this point.
BENEFITS OF THE SCHEME
- If selected, you will take part in two intensive workshops covering illicit finance, reporting on companies, accounts and budgets, and investigative techniques. The workshops will take place in Kampala.
- You will propose one or more story ideas that you wish to work on within the scheme – if you are selected, we will provide experienced journalists to help you pursue your stories right up to publication/broadcast.
- Selected participants will receive modest funding to help them realize their stories.
- You will have exclusive access to expertise through our network of illicit finance experts.
- You will also have access to story ideas and editorial advice and will be invited to share your own expertise with other participants
Find more more information on the course and details of how to apply here.