Course dates: 12—16 September 2022
Application Deadline: 24 August 2022.
Who can attend: Journalists in Uganda
The African Centre for Media Excellence, with support of the Natural Resource Governance Institute, is calling for applications from journalists in Uganda interested in attending this year’s training programme on effective coverage of the oil and gas sector. The sector is now at take-off stage and offers exciting reporting opportunities.
The training consists of a series of two core courses to take place in Kampala. The first course, a foundational one, will last five days i.e. from 12—16 September 2022. The second course, slated for the third week of October, is a follow-up workshop that will run for eight days, including a study trip to the oil and gas activity sites in the Albertine.
The courses offer knowledge and skills modules within a context of holistic and comprehensive support to journalists. This support is through mentoring, study trips, coaching, access to sources, use of data, innovative use of digital and online databases, as well as interaction with peers, experts, policymakers, and oversight actors. The courses are interactive, practical, and participant-driven.
Who Will Attend
This call is intended for mid-career journalists in Uganda working with media organisations, including online platforms. Freelance journalists are free to apply. Selected journalists will be fully sponsored and required to commit to and complete all aspects of this residential training programme before, during, and after the courses.
What to Do if Interested
Provide the following information in your application form.
- Your full name.
- Your phone number & email address.
- Name and address (including website) of the media organisation or platform you report for.
- Name, email, and phone number of your editor or editorial supervisor who will approve your participation in the training.
- A one-page write-up of your professional profile (should include, among other elements, how long you have worked as a journalist, areas you have reported on, and how you think attending this training will benefit your career).
- Story Samples: Include in your application up to three samples of your stories on oil, gas and mining. If you have not reported on these issues, provide story samples on other topics you have covered. Samples may be submitted as online links or attached as scanned copies or audio and video files.
- Female journalists are especially encouraged to apply.
For further inquiries about this course, please write to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 August 2022.