- What: Short courses on covering Uganda’s 2021 general election
- When: 16-18 November and 19-21 November
- Who: Journalists from across Uganda who have not participated in ACME’s recent election training workshops
- Slots available: 15 journalists per workshop, Covid-19 SOPs permitting
Application deadline: 13 November, 2020
The African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME), with support of the U.S. Mission to Uganda, invites applications from Ugandan journalists for a short course on Covering Elections.
About the course
The 2021 election season is here. As is to be expected, it is a time of increased excitement and tension amongst contending candidates and their supporters. It therefore falls on the media to offer coverage that illuminates the issues on the campaign trail for the average voter to make an informed choice at the ballot box. It should also be the type of coverage that helps cool temperatures between contending camps. This time it’s all the more challenging because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Most campaigning will be conducted via the media and varied digital platforms, and public rallies have been limited to only 70 people. The stakes could not be higher for the media to acquit itself well during this mediated campaign season.
It is with this in mind that ACME has designed a series of training sessions to be conducted in Kampala. The training targets journalists from news media across Uganda.
How to apply
This course is open to all journalists in Uganda. Women journalists are especially encouraged to apply.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that contains:
- A letter of introduction and application to the course. The letter must include your bio data, compelling reasons why you are interested in the course, and specifics of how you intend to use the knowledge gained in your reporting.
- A letter of support from your editorial supervisor stating that he or she will give you time off to attend the training in full. If you are a freelance reporter and unable to provide a letter of support, please state that this is so.
- Incomplete applications will be disregarded.