African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME) is seeking a Programme Associate, Uganda National Journalism Awards.
Reports to: Programme Manager – Online, Broadcast and Training
Contract type: Full-time for 24 months
The Uganda National Journalism Awards is a programme of ACME intended to recognize and promote reporting that informs and empowers the public, increases the voices and spaces for critical information, and holds the powerful to account. The Awards, delivered annually, attract an average of 300 entries from around the country and are adjudicated by a panel of 14 judges.
ACME now requires a highly competent, pro-active and motivated Project Associate who has the ability to multi-task across a wide range of disciplines. The post-holder will have excellent communication skills, and the ability to apply tact and discretion to ensure the smooth running of the Uganda National Journalism Awards project.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Awards management in running a successful publicity and outreach campaign, and in the administration of the Awards entry site, which includes assisting in the setting up of entry forms, preparation of entry information and first-line checking of entries.
This role is ideal for someone who prides themselves on being highly organised and with meticulous attention to detail. The successful candidate must have the ability to work longer hours during the busy Awards period.
The post is based at African Centre for Media Excellence in Kampala.
Applicants must be available to start by mid-October 2016.
The closing date for applications is 30 September 2016.
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive publicity plan.
- Assist in the setup of the panel of judges, issue invitations to the judges and be their main point of contact.
- Prepare, test and update the entry system.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date databases of entrants.
- Check that entries for all Awards are complete, accurate and properly uploaded.
- Communicate with nominees including confirming attendance at the Awards ceremony and requesting professional details and photographs for inclusion in a relevant booklet.
- Manage collation and return of clips and additional material for nominated entries and obtain clearance for use.
- Production and distribution of Awards certificates and plaques.
- Manage the Awards guest list – sending out electronic and hard copy invites and collating RSVP.
- Conduct post-awards interviews with winners and contribute original content to the Awards compendium of winning stories.
- Be an ambassador for ACME and maintain a professional approach at all times.
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably required.
Essential skills and requirements
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- At least two years experience as a reporter or sub-editor.
- Knowledge of (or a passion for) the journalism industry.
- Excellent computer skills including (minimum) intermediate Word and Excel and experience of database packages and online content management systems.
- Excellent organisational abilities and the discipline for self-organisation without direct supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a team.
- A keen eye for detail.
- Experience of negotiating with external suppliers and contacts.
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and its application and integration in the work environment.
- A commitment to continual professional development.
Please apply by sending a CV and covering letter (detailing how you meet the requirements of the person specification) and the contact details of two referees to email@example.com by 30 September 2016. CVs and cover letters should be no more than two pages each (four pages in total).
If you haven’t heard from us by 5 October 2016, you should assume that on this occasion, your application has not been successful. We are unfortunately unable to give detailed or specific feedback on applications.