ACME is in the market for a dynamic, creative, open-minded, quick-learning, team-oriented, hard working, fast thinking Online Content Editor.
You will work with ACME’s founders and senior managers to promote the key objectives of helping Ugandan journalists to seek and achieve professional excellence as well as helping to make our news media more reliable and credible sources of information on public affairs, effective tools for monitoring official power, and vibrant forums for public debate.
You are expected to be enterprising, highly organized, open-minded, adaptive, passionate, persistent, and collaborative. You are also expected to possess intellectual curiosity, good judgment and a strong interest in journalism, new media, and traditional media.
Programme Manager, Online and Multimedia Resources
The duties of the Online Content Editor involve:
- Inviting authoritative writers working in government, public policy, civil society, academia, etc, to write for ACME opinions portal.
- Sourcing comment and opinion from existing public information, including public lectures, addresses, etc
- Interviewing expert sources for Q & A reports or essays
- Reviewing and editing opinions, essays to ensure that they meet ACME’s editorial objectives, and house style, and are well researched, relevant, timely, and accurate
- Maintaining diversity of offerings (both authors and topics) on the opinion portal
- Writing issues briefs and explainers
- Contributing story and online content ideas for the ACME Website and Online Resource Centre
- Write regular blogs and articles for the website;
- Designing/developing training modules/curricula;
- Deliver training in areas of expertise;
- Participating actively in ACME’s online/social media forums such as Facebook and Twitter;
- Perform any such related activities that will enhance the centre’s work in helping journalists seek and achieve professional excellence as well as helping to make our news media more reliable and credible sources of information on public affairs, effective tools for monitoring official power, and vibrant forums for public debate.
- BA/BSc in journalism, mass communication, English, information management or a related field
- 2-4 years experience in writing and managing content production for traditional media outlets or high traffic websites
- Strong proficiency with content management tools and processes
- Web editorial skills, understanding of writing for the web and engaging online audiences
- Experience in cataloguing print/audio and digital materials
- Ability to follow style guidelines and briefs
What you should do to apply
- Submit a cover letter/application;
- Submit a CV with three references;
- Submit three samples of your best published writing. Journalistic writing preferable.
Deadline for applications
Friday, 12 March 2015
15 April 2015